MIRROR, MIRROR + SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN

MIRROR MIRROR

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN

Based on what I've observed, late-2011 and early-2012 appears to be the year of fairytales. To be more specific, there will be two adaptations of the story of Snow White. 

The reinterpretation of fairytales is quite fascinating to me. Earlier in the semester, one of my favourite classes in university required us to re-examine the notion of fairytale. We needed to design costumes for fairytale characters and re-examine the psyche of the protagonists and antagonists. This concept is not completely new. However, the focus on the story of Snow White gives us an insight into how fairytales can continuously be reinterpreted time and time again. 

The two adaptations have similarities, particularly in the way Snow White is reinterpreted as a heroine who sets out to save her kingdom. Charlize Theron (Snow White and the Huntsman) and Julia Roberts (Mirror Mirror) present different characterisations of the persona of the "evil" Queen. Between Theron's icy take and Roberts' more animated and fiery characterisation, I'm not sure which one I prefer. 

I'd be interested to see how the two films compare in terms of plot and cinematography. Both appear promising at this stage. Honestly, I'm intrigued by Mirror Mirror, because I grew up in a household that absolutely adored the works of Julia Roberts. 

I'm equally as intrigued to see how costume will be developed for both. I'd like to see the sketches and mind-maps of the costume designers for both films. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog. Please feel free to leave comments and to follow.