ONE DAY (reprise)

I promised in an earlier blog entry that I was going to do a proper review of One Day. Thanks again to Hachette Australia and MX magazine for giving me such a lovely present!



I suppose that it is both a blessing and a curse that I am a speed-reader. I really wanted to enjoy and savour the experience and prolong my reading time. This was not the opportunity for "slow" reading, albeit I did it at a leisurely pace.


One Day was a lovely read. From the first chapter, Nicholls managed to engage the reader through characters and a plot that ordinary people can relate to. The division of chapters into years probably made the journey with the characters a lot easier to follow. In a sense, the reader matured with the characters.

The story panned out like a film. Each moment that I read seemed real- as though I was a voyeur that witnessed the lives of two people who seemed tied together by fate. The story was light, although it dealt with deeper undertones of personal insecurity and the internal demons the protagonists had to face.

I found the story to be quite smart and fresh. I wish that I could have savoured the story a bit more, like a glass of merlot. Then again, I believe that I can pick this book up more than once, and re-immerse myself in the story again and again.

I haven't seen the film yet. I might be a bit critical of it because the book was utterly delightful. This is definitely a book that I'll recommend to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog. Please feel free to leave comments and to follow.