洋菓子店コアンドル/PATISSERIE COIN DE RUE

One of my favourite Japanese actors is the talented Aoi Yu. It doesn't matter what genre of film or series she stars in, her talent just shines through. The 2006 film Hula Girls was probably one of the films that made a lot of people aware of her. I make it a point to watch whatever piece she acts in, as she is just that brilliant. She seems to have timeless ennui that adds another dimension to her acting.
This film was featured in this year's Japanese film festival, hosted by the Japan Foundation. Directed by Yoshihiro Fukugawa, 洋菓子店コアンドル』was originally shown in Japan last February. The film showcases the stories of two individuals- a brilliant patissier played by Eguchi Yosuke and Natsume, a baker's daughter. 


The story had a pretty good progression, and seamlessly integrated the characters' backstories. There was also a lot of pastry and cake involved, which would make this film appealing to aspiring gourmands. At times, I found parts of the story to be quite slow, but those moments helped me to digest the heavier themes of the plot. 




Aoi Yu's character (Natsume) had a slightly different dialect, which wouldn't be too obvious to people who aren't as familiar with the Japanese language. I guess that most people would just remember the heavy shouting that she did in various scenes. Still, she mastered the personality of this particular character. The other characters that she invoked tended to be less temperamental, so it was quite refreshing to see a change in pace. Aoi Yu also has a tendency to act in a number of period films, so it was quite different not to see her in a kimono. 


The costumes for this particular film were alright, though I wouldn't necessarily say that there was anything too extraordinary about the way the characters were dressed. Though, I quite enjoyed seeing the Coin De Rue patissiers in the emerald green and maroon hats. 



This probably wasn't my favourite film, though I think that it was well-made. I guess that Hula Girls still ranks as one of my favourite Aoi Yu films to date. For now, I will just leave you with a trailer. I think that the Japanese Film Festival will be travelling to Melbourne? The Sydney season has already concluded for the year. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog. Please feel free to leave comments and to follow.